KKday is a site that offers optional tours in more than 53 countries.Find a special experience tour in Japan!
Takachiho Amaterasu Railway
The Takachiho Amaterasu Railway is a touristic train that carries passengers on a cart along the tracks of the former Takachiho Railway, which stopped operating due to damages caused by the typhoon in 2008. The closing of Takachiho railway was grieved by many tourists and train enthusiasts as the train offered beautiful views from its windows. On the Takachiho Amaterasu Railway, these beautiful views can be enjoyed once again from an original cart. Takachiho Amaterasu Railway feels as if you are on an attraction park ride in the midst of great nature, and is sure to provide enjoyment to both kids and adults!
- Old Station, 1425-1 Mitai, Takachiho, Nishiusuki-gun, Miyazaki
- Contact No.
- From JR Nobeoka Station, take Miyazaki Kotsu Bus towards Takachiho Bus Center for 1 hr 20 min, get off at last stop and walk 10 min
- Opening Hours / Holidays
- Super Cart departure time: departs every 40 minutes between 10:00-16:00 (10 trips/day)
Closed every Thursday for maintenance of Super Cart
- Official Website
- Time Required
- 60 minutes
- Admission fee
- Entrance fee (environment maintenance fee): 100 yen / Ride fare: adults over high school 1,200 yen, elementary and middle school students 700 yen, children before school age 300 yen
- Other Information
- Please check official website for details, as the Super Cart departure times, routes and closing days may vary depending on weather conditions and irregular maintenance.
※ Some information is displayed in Japanese and machine-translated English, which may not be accurate.
For the latest information, please check the official website for each spot.
Original Carts Run Along the Tracks
On the Takachiho Amaterasu Railway, you get to explore the tracks of the former Takachiho Railway on the original roofless cart "Super Cart Amaterasu." Take in the great nature of Takachiho as the cart takes you slowly along the Takachiho Amaterasu Railroad at 15 km/h during the 5 km round trip.
Takachiho Iron Bridge
The highlight of this railroad is without a doubt the crossing of the 105-meter high, 352.5-meter long Takachiho Iron Bridge! The Takachiho Iron Bridge goes across the deep canyon through which the Iwato River flows, and offers a unique scenery of the beautiful canyon of Takachiho as well as remarkable landscapes that change in each season.
Train Garage Tour
The station of Takachiho Amaterasu Railway is the location of the former Takachiho Station. The building and platforms are still kept as they were back then, and in the garage, which is now open for visits, it is possible to view the place where the trains used to be maintained.